Plant Identification Short Course
Join Cape York NRM for a three-day FREE course to learn how to examine and identify local plants.
- Introduction and course overview
- Introduction to plant morphology and terminology
- Visit to native vegetation for hands-on review of course content
- Practice identifying specimens using the Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants Identification System (the "Rainforest key")
- Revision of yesterday’s material
- Continue to develop knowledge of the Rainforest Key
- Demonstrate how to prepare and write-up plant specimens for pressing
- Visit native vegetation, collect specimens for identification
Day Three (optional)
- Review important rainforest plant families of the Cooktown area
- In the field, discuss methods for identification of eucalypts and wattles, introduce the "Lucid Keys" to these groups
- Open book test
This project is supported by Cape York NRM, through funding from the Australian Government’s National Landcare Program.
27 Feb 2023
From plant structure and correct terminology to learning about the features of leaves, bark, fruit and flowers; a three-day plant identification course hosted by Cape York NRM provided new insights into the flora on Cape York Peninsula.Read More
|Event Flyer||2.56 MB|
Soon you will be able to view photos, videos and interactive media relating to projects and events. Check back soon for more information.