30 Jun 2016
Nest to Ocean Support Rnd 2 - Napranum
Cape York NRM have received funding through Round 2 of the Nest to Ocean Turtle Protection Program (NTOTPP) to support the on-going work of the Napranum Ranger Program to protect marine turtles nesting on coastal areas managed by the Napranum rangers. This work will complement activities previously conducted as part of ‘Projects CY071: Western Cape Feral Pig Control – Napranum’; ‘CY097: Nest to Ocean Round 1 Support - Napranum and activities associated with participation in the Western Cape Turtle Threat Abatement Alliance (WCTTAA).
Through this project the Ranger program will:
- Undertake predator control activities through aerial culling and other activities to be determined in a Pig Control Planning activity to be conducted in April 2016
- Monitor turtle nesting activities and nest predation on Pennefather Beach
- Participate in and support the production of a documentary highlighting the status of turtles in western Cape York and turtle protection and monitoring activities of the Napranum Rangers
This project includes funds for:
- Contribution toward maintenance and/or hire of vehicles to be used for turtle monitoring and predator control activities
- Purchase of additional monitoring equipment
- Materials for predator control trials
Amounts available for each of these is provided in Annexure 1: Budget Summary.
The first progress report for Turtle monitoring and predator control activities (due by the end of June 2016) can be incorporated into the final report for activities funded through ‘Project CY071: Western Cape Feral Pig Control – Napranum’ and ‘CY097: Nest to Ocean Round 1 – Napranum’ and must include details of all additional activities undertaken with this additional funding. Both of these other projects are due for completion in June 2016.