North Queensland Indigenous Fire Management Network
On the establishment of a North Queensland Indigenous Fire Management Network, the Indigenous Fire Mentorship Program will be implemented for its members.
As part of the Network, Indigenous fire practitioners will participate in sharing knowledge on cultural burning practices and fire management for the conservation of species and ecological communities. Information is available on the attached fact sheet—please feel free to share amongst your networks.
This project will increase knowledge and awareness of:
- Indigenous Ecological Knowledge (IEK)
- how cultural fire management can conserve littoral rainforest, ant plant and cassowary habitat
- the value of combining IEK with scientific and conservation approaches and Indigenous capacity-building
This project runs un mid 2023, with project activities including:
- establishing and coordination the North Queensland Indigenous Fire Management Network
- implementing and Indigenous Fire Mentorship Program for Network members
- working with the Network to establish cultural burning regimes for littoral rainforest, ant plant and cassowary country, and
- sharing an implement IEK to improve the management of littoral rainforest, ant plant and cossowary country.
To find out more or get involved, contact Alex Debono on 0419 148 426 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This project is supported by Cape York NRM through funding from the Australian Government’s National Landcare Program
|Indigenous Fire Management Network Factsheet.pdf||4.5 MB|