Cape York NRM is the member-owned Regional Natural Resource Management (NRM) body for the Cape York NRM Region.
Cape York NRM supports individuals, groups and communities involved in cultural and natural resource management with funding, professional and practical support, regional coordination and planning, communications and representation.
The Charter given to it by the Cape York community is to fill the role of a regional natural resource management body for the Cape York region including:
- the protection and enhancement of the natural environment;
- to support and facilitate the ecological sustainability and viability of industry to improve quality of life for the community;
- the provision of information and education, building community capacity, the carrying on of research about the natural environment and its management;
- to develop a natural resource management plan and investment strategy for the Cape York region;
- to develop funding applications for regional and competitive funding programs;
- to be accountable for Australian and State Government funding to implement the natural resource management plan and investment strategy for the Cape York region;
- to, wherever possible, broker partnerships with existing groups, organisations and local governments across Cape York to deliver natural resource management activities.
The organisation’s mission is to help people to work together to care for the natural environment and to promote the sustainable use of Cape York’s natural resources.
Cape York NRM Board of Directors
Cape York NRM is led by a community-based Board of up to 10 from six Sectors:
- Indigenous Sector – 5 members
- Local Government Sector – 1 member
- Primary Industry Sector – 1 member
- Tourism, Small Business, Mining and other Industry Sector – 1 member
- Community Sector - 1 member
- Conservation Sector – 1 member
The Board positions which are currently open for nomination are Directors for the:
- Local Government Sector
- Primary Industry Sector
- Tourism, Small Business, Mining and other Industry Sector
- Community Sector
- Indigenous Zone 1 Sector
- Indigenous Zone 3 Sector.