Works focused on controlling six weed species with three Traditional Owner groups within three key environmental areas: the Trevethan Creek wildlife corridor site adjacent to the Northern Wet Tropics World Heritage Area; Aligator Creek, an endangered coastal wetland environment, including weeds of Waymbuurr country in Cooktown; and the Rainforest isolates adjacent to Mt Web National Park at Starke Station.
Weed invasion in natural systems is considered a major threat to biodiversity,with natural species competition and altering fire regimes to control infestation the leading issues.
This project aimed to reverse these two major threats by engaging Traditional Owners to identify and remove six weed species from sensitive environmental and coastal areas, allowing the natural systems to regenerate, and reduces the impacts of hot fires.
Building upon previous CFOC investments this project supported Traditional Owners from the Darrba Land Trust and Kuku Nyungkal Clan to conduct follow up activities on Lantana adjacent to important riparian corridors. This project engaged the Burrgirrku Land Trust from the Waymbuurr Clan, to control six transformer weed species and learn through initial weed control activities on traditional lands. Through the provisin of ACDC accreditation for Traditional Owners, this project improved the capacity of TOs and land trusts to maintain land environment into the future.
Works completed for this project include a Fulcrum survey for 6 weed species on Waymbuurr Traditional land (Cooktown and surrounds) controlling 54.25Ha of weeds.
- 34 Ha of Lantana on Waymbuurr traditional land
- 1.25 Ha of Hymenachne on Waymbuurr traditional land
- 2.25 Ha of Pond Apple on Waymbuurr traditional land including Endangered Wetland ecosystems
- 15.75Ha of Mother in law tongue on Waymbuurr traditional land including Endangered Wetland ecosystems
- 1 Ha of Singapore Daisy on Waymbuurr traditional land including Endangered Wetland ecosystems
- 20.5Ha of Lantana follow up control work on Darrba Traditional land surrounding Rainforest isolates
- 1Ha of Giant sensitive weed follow up control work on Darrba Traditional land surrounding Rainforest isolates
- Assist in controlling 75Ha of Lantana control follow up work on Kuku Nyungkal Traditional Land along important riparian corridors
- Revegetate 0.75 Ha of degraded areas with 718 plants