Cape York Natural Resource Management
Cape York Natural Resource Management Ltd (Cape York NRM) is a registered charity and not-for-profit organisation that works with individuals, groups and communities across Cape York, facilitating care of Country, through natural and cultural resource management activities.
The organisational mission is to help people to work together to care for the natural environment, and to promote the sustainable use of natural resources.
After exetensive community engagement, Cape York NRM has established organisational guidelintes in the development of partnerships in the communities of Cape York. Interaction with the residents of those communities takes place through various activities and projects based on principles of sustainable development, capacity building, support and development, and regional coordination and planning.
Cape York NRM staff work with land and sea managers, traditional custodians, growers, graziers and ranger groups on a wide variety of programs that enhance the varied ecological landscapes of Cape York.
Through cooperation these partnerships ensure:
- the future of wetlands, varied soil types and the Great Barrier Reef
- support of efforts to maintain sustainable numbers of threatened species, including sea turtles and the rare Jardine River turtle
- address and identification of threats to environment, culture and community
- dealing with the effects of climate change
- attempts to control invasive species i.e. feral pigs and weeds
Cassowaries and the endangered Golden-Shouldered Parrot are among the winners in a $16 million investment forView
Reduction in soil erosion on mitigated sites makes a substantial difference to water quality on the Reef The World Heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef is the planet’s greatest living wonder.View